FCAT 2.0 Writing Assessment Preparation Plan
The Escambia County School District has put together a plan that begins in December and runs through the test date, February 26th, 2013. The goal of this plan is to prepare our students for the particular demands of the FCAT 2.0 Writing Assessment. The plan has been divided into five phases. You can download the calendar that lays out a timeline of the phases. They are as follows:
|Phase 1||Dec. 3 - Dec. 21||Focus on FCAT Writing Rubrics and Sentence Writing|
|Phase 2||Jan. 8 - Jan. 18||Focus on Planning|
|Phase 3||Jan. 21 - Feb. 1||Focus on Paragraph Writing Strategies|
|Phase 4||Feb. 4 - Feb. 15||Focus n Practicing Writing and Scoring Essays|
|Phase 5||Feb 15 - 25||Focus on Deconstructing Prompts and Planning|
Each grade level taking the test (4th, 8th, and 10th) has a different set of documents prepared specifically to address its specific needs. Click on the grade level of the following documents (or on the document itself if it is the same for all grade levels) to download them.
Phase 1 - FCAT Writing Rubric
- Climbing the FCAT PowerPoint (4th , 8th , 10th )
- Climbing the FCAT Student Handout (4th , 8th , 10th )
- Student Essays (4th , 8th , 10th )
- FCAT Writing Rubric (4th , 8th , 10th )
- Number Cards
Phase 2 - Planning
- Practice Prompts (4th, 8th , 10th )
- Step Up to Writing Essay Planning Tool 5-3a-b
- Step up to Writing Essay Planning Tool 5-7a-b
- Essay Graphic Organizer
- Step up to Writing “Paragraph Revision Form” Tool 10-9a
- Elaborated Paragraph Organizer
- “What is Support” Handout
Phase 4 - Practice Writing & Scoring
- 2012 Narrative Calibration Scoring Guides (4th )
- 2012 Expository Calibration Scoring Guides (4th , 8th , 10th )
- 2012 Persuasive Calibration Scoring Guides (8th , 10th )
- FCAT Writing Rubric
- Practice Prompts
Phase 5 - Deconstructing Prompts
- Step Up to Writing "Turning a Prompt into a Topic Sentence," Tool 4-21a
Escambia Writing Assessment - Moving Forward Towards PARCC
- 6th, 7th, and 9th grades - February 26, 2013 (same day as FCAT 2.0 Assessment)
- 2nd, 3rd, and 5th grades - April 30, 2013
To help teachers and students prepare for this assessment, here are some sample items that students can use. We have also included scored student responses.
|2nd Grade||5th Grade||6th Grade|
Desert Animals (Science)
Our Farm (Social Studies)
Scored Student Responses
Red Cloud (Social Studies)
The Water Cycle (Science)
Revolutionary War (Social Studies)
Gail Devers (Biographical)
Charles Babbage (Social Studies)
Mean Messages (Social Studies)
Iraqis Vote on Constitution (Social Studies)
Practice FCAT Writing prompts can be found in the above section on Preparing for the 2013 FCAT 2.0 Writing Assessment.
With the help of some teachers, I have an Elaborated Paragraph Grading Rubric . This rubric, unlike the holistic FCAT Scoring Rubric, is an analytic rubric that can be used to assign grades and analyze the student's strengths and weeknesses in specific areas. This is not the rubric that will be used to score the assessment! It is a classroom tool to address critical areas of writing. Although it was designed with secondary grades in mind, it can be adapted to intermediate grade levels as well.
More FCAT Writing Resources
Here is the PowerPoint that describes the changes to the FCAT writing test starting last year. You may also download the memo from the DOE that the PowerPoint summarizes.
Here is the web address for the DOE Test Development Center Shared-Material Site where we are getting our updates.
FCAT Scoring Rubrics:
If you have any questions about the information provided, feel free to contact us for further clarifications.
Practice Writing Prompts
Here are a few sources for practice writing prompts. It is VERY difficult finding original elementary prompts.
Elementary and Middle:
- From the Bakersfield City School District website in California. The standards are different from ours, but the prompts seem pretty good. http://departments.bcsd.com/cipd/Writing%20Prompts%20and%20Scoring%20Guides%20index.htm
- From Polk County's website: http://www.polk-fl.net/staff/teachers/documents/la8thGradeEssayPrompts.pdf
- From Orange County's website: https://www.ocps.net/cs/services/cs/currareas/FA/thtre/IR/Documents/FCAT%20Writing%20Prompts.pdf
- From Polk County's website: http://www.polk-fl.net/staff/teachers/documents/la10thGradeEssayPrompts.pdf
Research Process Lesson Plans
The links below are to booklets for lessons on the research process and products they can create. They are on graduated levels, going from 6th to 12th grade. Student products include essays, presentations, podcasts, and documentaries.
American Musical Project